My blog would have been a lost entity in the pool of millions of blogs if I wouldn’t have written and optimized my content for the targeted readers.
One of the power blogging lessons I ever learned and my best blogging tip for bloggers is to optimize for the RIGHT KEYWORDS.
Right keywords will drive the right traffic and traffic means money.
I see several blogs with amazing content hardly receiving any traffic and income they deserve.
The biggest reason is – their blog is never found by people.
It doesn’t show up in the search engines.
It doesn’t show up in the first 10-30 search results.
That’s where Keyword Research is important.
How to do keyword research for a blog
Keyword research is one of the first fundamental steps to start a blog that makes money. Once you select the best niche for your blog, conduct thorough keyword research to find the best set of targeted keywords.
- Find 3 sets of keywords in your blog keyword research.
50-100 keywords with high search volume (10-50k / mo) and high competition.
100-200 keywords with medium search volume (2-10k / mo)
Up to 500 keywords with low search volume (100-2k / mo)
2. Most of these medium and low competition keyphrases will have high search volume keywords as words. Low volume keyphrases make great longtail keywords.
They pull your blogs to rankings faster and in almost no time.
The more longtail phrases you write around, the more your website visitors are likely to convert.
Use tools like answerthepublic.com and Quora to find question based longtail keywords.
Best FREE Keyword Research Tools for Bloggers
AHREFS Keyword Research Tool
Keywords Everywhere (Chrome extension)
Your Google search console keywords insights [Check Screenshot). The data showed me that people are looking for questions about social media and I created this social media FAQ. This FAQ is optimized for over 20 high to low range keywords.
My recommended paid tool for easy keyword research
Your action plan for today
- Check your Google search console and analytics data and see what all positions and keywords your site is holding
- Pick up some keywords with highest impressions as seed keywords from this data to conduct your next level of keyword research
- If you do not have any analytics configured, get it done right away. Blogging is useless without analytics unless you only blog for a hobby.
- Use the tools suggested above and begin with some best presumptions of seed keywords. Enter these keywords in these tools and review the massive data it returns.
- Use it in your posts and optimize.
- Make sure to use these keywords in the headline.
Use this Keyword Research for Bloggers – Step by Step Smart Keyword Research
Keyword research can be one of the most tedious, time-consuming, and draining tasks. But it’s worth your time. So do it.
You can even hire someone from Fiverr or Upwork to do your keyword research.
Need help? Ask me in the comments.
Want A to J best blogging tips of this series? Find them all here